Monday, May 4, 2009

(More than) Enough reading material?

Travel is usually a great time to catch up on reading, but I hate the trade-off between too much bulk/weight versus not having the exact book I'd want to read at a given time. I wish I could take the language and guidebooks of all the places we'll be going, plus some classics I've been meaning to read, but unfortunately neither the Kindle 2 nor the Sony E-book reader met all my needs by re time I was leaving.

Of the 10 books + 1 cheat sheet pictured below, the bottom four are by the three authors that come to mind as among the greatest inspirations for me to do this trip, and especially the investment biker and adventure capitalist books would be great references to have as I visit similar places respectively 19 and 9 years later (and by vastly different means) and try to compare how my perspectives may differ.

The lonely planet books were the three that made the packing cut from NY to India, and even now we might only take Eastern Europe with us given the time and number of places we will be visiting there soon.

The mutual fund book is about mutual funds in India, and I plan to toss this as soon as I have enough information and references about how these differ from what I know about funds in the US.

The Russian dictionary has been in my collection for over 10 years, and it might be the single most useful one to carry with us until we reach china (sorry Turkey and Hungary, we just won't be there long enough).  The cheat sheet should help me brush up my grammar, along with the complete audio course on my iPhone.

The atlas was a $4 one from Strand, and I have kept travelling with and been referring to it even though I keep saying "I'll throw it out this trip".

Fortunately, I also have several audio lectures in case I wantto close my eyes, and expect to buy plenty of other little pieces of reading material along the way...

Sent from my iPhone

1 comment: