Monday, March 16, 2009

What I am likely to miss (or even not miss) about home / NYC

Having never lived in one place in my entire life longer than about six years, and New York being the 11th place since childhood memory I have called "home" (and had reason to miss), I should be pretty well experienced in knowing how to rebuild a comfortable "home" feeling in a new place and what I am likely to miss (or not miss) about the old place. This can be a check between what I think I value about a place and am likely to miss on the road versus what I probably take for granted. This will be one of those less refined, brain-dump posts, so I am likely to remember something shortly after posting this something I missed saying I'll miss.

Over the past three days, the only thing I know for sure I WILL NOT miss about New York and the US in general is how sales tax is added to prices here. I can not understand why it has become such accepted custom that even an item listed as a dollar will come up to $1.08, leaving me with a mess of change on one end or the other that makes the simple-looking price seem difficult and dishonest. The inconvenience part goes away when paying by credit card, but why is the US the only country I can recall visiting where the price listed has to not include several percent of the price one pays, as though that extra $0.08 I will actually have to shell out, not the inconvenience of an un-round price, is what might stop me from buying the item. The more world-renown practice of saying $9.99 instead of $10 is far more acceptable to me, since it is easier to add a penny than multiply by 1.0825, but still seems complicating and slightly dishonest.

The fact that I can hardly think of anything else I will definitely not miss about the US speaks worlds about how good I have it here. One thing I definitely did not miss about California was the lack of meaningful public transit and the need to take cars through traffic practically everywhere, but that was because (and a main reason why) I was coming to New York, so there is not much I expect to miss or not miss about the subway or lack thereof on places like the road less traded (if I were moving to Munich or Chennai, I would of course have entire extreme points about it). Over all though, it is hard for me to imagine what I might NOT miss about the US when traveling through emerging markets for several months.

A random, almost certainly incomplete list of things I definitely will miss and do not expect to find on the road less traded include:
1. First, of course are all my friends here, which should go without saying
2. Easy access to Florida cave diving (hope to find some in China, Vietnam, or Thailand though)
3. Sushi (not going to Japan, and not sure when we can get some good Japanese food again)
4. New York fashion
5. Bagels
6. Getting to use my phone number all the time (there might be a way to bring it along?)
7. New York pizza
8. My apartment, of course, it is the nicest, best located one I have ever had as an adult, and don't think I will find one as nice again, either in another city or back in New York
9. Easy mail order
10. The fact that many things like computers and sporting goods are probably significantly cheaper here than in most places abroad
11. Fine cheese, hence my recent binge on 4-year-old Gouda, aged parmagianno, sheep's milk brie, bucheron, and Australian blue.
12. Being the host rather than the guest
13. Martinis (mine and Roosie's, although Russia and Ukraine might impress me?)
14. The New York Public library
15. Good mexican food
16. Easy access to some of my favorite shows on DVD via Blockbuster.com
17. Tie (this list is not in order, but this doesn't deserve two bullets): steak tartare or grass-fed beef good enough to eat blue - I expect to carefully limit any meat I eat on the road, especially since I don't see the point of eating it overcooked, but will try any local dish once.
18. Having all my suits handy, rather than just one for the road.
19. The items of my dive gear that would be too heavy to travel with (pretty much all of it)
20. Silk products and my high fiber cereals

Strangely enough I don't list little things like being able to read signs or understanding how to do things or get around, since those are among the main things that excite me about the trip.

1 comment:

  1. Don't you miss CA fruits (strawberries, grapes, etc)?

    I found them much better than in NY (but certainly not as good as France/Switzerland)

    ReplyDelete