Saturday, March 28, 2009

Packing "dry run"

Today we are going to try a "dry run" of three things: 1.) packing our furniture, seasonal, and large items into a storage unit, 2.) packing big bags for the first leg to India, and 3.) packing "light" for the long train trip.

The last point, even being the theoretically "smallest" job, still seems the most daunting. While we have both traveled extensively, even with a child between the ages of 4-15 months, we have never done a trip quite so extensive, nor been quite as concerned before about things like clean water and theft / bag slashing.

The solution for me seems simple: carry a large backpack (or less likely, a duffel) large enough for most of the volume the three of us will need to pack, though perhaps not quite enough given that I need to pack a suit (something I have never put in a backpack before), and in addition to that, perhaps one side/day back large enough for an SLR camera, some books, and small random items. I should be able to handle the backpack, side bag, and a toddler on my front a good portion of the time.

Hopefully we'll see later today how all this fits and is likely to work...

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not sure if you guys already have a good backpack...if you don't, this website has some pretty sweet ones:
    http://www.backcountrygear.com/manufacturers/Gregory.cfm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Packing light is an art and very difficult, especially with small numerous items. It reminds me of my favourite Mark Twain quote: "I'm sorry I wrote you a long letter. I didn't have the time to write a short one."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Indeed hauling 5 large and heavy check-ins plus 5 limit pushing carry-ons plus a third passenger with us was a challenge, but now hopefully we have a good amount of time in India to pack more efficiently for the longer trip and test it on a domestic one before leaving for Anatolia...

    ReplyDelete